1 onion medium diced
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 carrots medium diced
2 celery stalks medium diced
50 g prosciutto diced or pancetta
2 medium yellow potatoes medium diced
2 cups of green lentils
1 lt chicken stock
½ tsp Chilli flakes
1 tsp Fennel seeds
1 parmesan rind
1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaf)
· In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat, add the prosciutto and cook until it gets crispy.
· Add the onion, chilli flakes, fennel seeds and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
· Add the garlic, carrots and celery and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
· Add the lentils and top up with chicken stock
· Add the parmesan rind and bouquet garni
· In a separate pot, blanch the potato half way and set aside.
· When the lentils are al dente add the potato and let it finish cooking.
· Season with salt and pepper to taste.
* You can take out the prosciutto if you are vegetarian and use water instead of chicken stock.